The first year footballers bowed out of the Connacht championship after a thrilling encounter in horrendous conditions in Ballyforan on Thursday last.

Garbally opened the scoring before Darren Gately levelled for the CBS. Garbally, playing with a strong breeze, dominated much of the opening exchanges, tacking on another point and a goal to race into an early four point lead. The CBS were battling hard however and refused to let the Ballinasloe side build too much momentum, netting themselves after a fine finish from Karol Feerick to reduce the gap to a single point. Garbally pointed twice before DJ Hession popped one over for the CBS. The Roscommon town side were having difficulty in securing primary possession in the conditions and were guilty of gifting Garbally too many scoring opportunities in the opening half. Two of these opportunities they duly converted before the break, split with another effort from Hession to keep the CBS in touching distance. Garbally just in front, 1-6 to 1-3 at halftime.

Unfortunately conditions worsened in the second period as the driving wind was now accompanied by heavy rainfall. This made ball handling very difficult with both sides struggling to maintain possession. The CBS, did however, start this half much the brighter with two early points from Gately and Aaron Lyons. Oran’s Shane Walsh then raised the green flag before Lyons pointed again to cap an excellent opening ten minute period from the CBS. The Roscommon side now led by three. Garbally responded with a point from their centre forward, who the CBS were finding difficult to shackle. The CBS responded with a point from Shane Walsh, before the game was once again tied with a fine individual goal from the elusive Garbally number 11. Garbally were creating significant problems from the CBS in this period and soon had the lead when they netted again. The Roscommon men settled things with a point from corner forward Aaron Shannon. The Ballinasloe side were still in the ascendency in this late period and soon pointed and netted again. The game had now ticked into stoppage time with the CBS five points down. Miraculously however, they rallied in this closing period. Gately and Feerick pointed to cut the gap to four. The Roscommon men managed to wrestle possession from the subsequent kick out and work the ball to Shannon who rifled the ball to the back of the net. There was now just a point in it but virtually no time left. Somehow the CBS managed to win possession again from the Garbally kick out. Again the ball fell to Feerick who popped the ball over with aplomb to send the game to extra time. 4-8 to 3-11

There had been a huge effort on both sides, as tired bodies faced into twenty minutes of extra time. Pitch conditions were now very heavy under foot. It was Garbally that coped with the extra time the better. A quick point and goal giving them a four point lead. Shannon goaled again to reduce the gap to a point. Garbally appeared to have more left in the tank however in this period. They pointed and goaled again to push the gap back out to five. Gately pointed to keep the CBS in touching distance. Garbally were finding scores easier to come by in extra time, and the Roscommon men had tired from the huge effort in the 60 minutes. Garbally pointed and netted again to gain a seven point lead. With time running out Gately did give the CBS a lifeline rifling a free to the top corner to reduce the deficit four. Unfortunately it was too little too late. The final score CBS 6-12 Garbally 7-11. A very brave effort from the CBS, who just came out on the wrong side of a tight encounter.