Dear Parent/Guardian and 3rd year student:
I hope you are all keeping well and minding yourselves amidst all of this! Never did we think we would be working so much from home the last number of weeks! But please God everyone will come away from this unscathed.
CBS Roscommon encourages the pursuit of excellence and a high standard of both academic and personal development. CBS students are enabled not only to achieve academically but are also offered many opportunities to take part in extracurricular activities including educational competitions; public speaking, clubs and an extensive physical education programme.
Our goal is to ensure that all students become critical thinkers, active problem-solvers, inquisitive readers, diligent researchers and prolific writers. We do all of this to prepare your son for the demands of the real-world so they may become productive citizens, future leaders and contribute positively to the community. The schools’ continuing excellence in these areas is testament to the dedication of students, staff and parents who together continue to build a lively and vibrant learning community
As you are all know the Junior Certificate exams were cancelled and a number of issues emerged as a result of the Minister’s decision e.g. sitting exams in Autumn. Thankfully, schools now have been given a certain autonomy to assess their JC students adhering to the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION AND SKILLS ASSESSMENT AND REPORTING ON STUDENTS’ LEARNING AT JUNIOR CYCLE : GUIDELINES FOR SCHOOLS.
With this in mind, a working group came together consisting of both myself and the Deputy Principal and a number of teachers involved in the Junior Certificate and curriculum planning to look at how we might assess our students in the best possible way. At the core of our discussions yesterday was the absolute need for transparency and clarity for both students and parents and evidence based results.
The Board of Management have agreed to the proposal and see it as very fair and will reward all students.
The final grade for each subject to be issued will comprise of 4 components
- 2nd year Summer exams 2019 25%
- 3rd year November Assessments 2019 25%
- 3rd year Mock Exams 2020 25%
- Another assessment completed by the student during 2nd or 3rd year 25%
Each of these components will account for 25% of the final grade.
The assessment for No. 4 is at the teachers/subject department discretion. Options proposed were:
- Work carried out in class e.g. projects etc.;
- A combination of results of class tests e.g. Average of 2/3/4 results or just one;
- An inclusion or average of CBA results not part of summer 2019 result. This list is not exhaustive.
It was agreed that the grade for the class CBA, which was used for some subjects for summer assessments in 2019, can be used for component 1 if available. It was also agreed, that due to the exceptional circumstances, work completed this term should not form part of the assessment at No. 4. It was also agreed, that due to the exceptional circumstances, work completed this term should not form part of the assessment at No. 4.
For each student, certification will involve two elements:
- A State Certificate of completion of Junior Cycle from the Department of Education and Skills. Students should receive a State Certification that they have completed three years of Junior Cycle education in a number of subjects. This certification will be provided by the Department of Education and Skills.
- A School Report setting out the learning achievements of students in Junior Cycle. Students should receive a written report on the broad range of learning that they have achieved in each subject at the end of Junior Cycle. This assessment of their learning will be provided by their teachers. Schools will have autonomy in how this assessment is to be arrived at and the format in which the report is provided.
These weeks have been difficult for all of us both personally and as a school community. Never has it been more clear that our health and that of our loved ones is of paramount importance. On behalf of all the staff here at CBS I want to thank you all most sincerely for working with us since the school building closed and engaging with us and your son with this new way of teaching and learning.
Le gach dea-ghuί,