By simply roasting the sweet potatoes before making this soup you transform a beautiful soup into an incredible one.
The subtle char that you get on the edges of the sweet potato add a fantastic depth of flavor and lasting taste to the soup. Use the same trick with potato soup, celeriac soup or even roast bell pepper. You’ll be amazed at how much more flavor you can extract from the core ingredient.
Roast Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup
- 4 medium to large peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 white onions
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 finger of ginger
- salt and white pepper
- 2 knorr chicken bouillon cubes
- 5 litres of water
- 100ml olive oil
- Slice up the potatoes and add to a large roasting tray
- Add the onion, sliced ginger, thyme and season
- Add the oil and mix all the ingredients well.
- Place into a pre-heated oven at 200C and roast until the edges are well charred and the potatoes become golden
- Now add to a pot, cover with water and boil for 30 mins
- Add the chicken stock cubes and blend with a hand blender
- Pass through a fine strainer, taste and season.
- This recipe will serve approximately 15 people.
- It freezes perfectly so add to 250ml air tight containers and freeze individually.
- Add to a pot on a low heat whenever you want it. Make sure to heat thoroughly though..