School History

 

1937 Christian Brothers arrive in Roscommon and the Monastery and Secondary School are built from monies of Conmee Bequest. From the earliest times the school is known as C.B.S. Roscommon. Br Maloney is first Superior

1939 Primary School built from same fund

1942 Br Kennedy Superior

1948 School Bus purchased to bring students from surrounding areas to school. This was the first such service probably in the country. It was organised by Br Creed new Superior in Roscommon.

1948 Connacht Senior Football A Champions

1949 Past Pupils Union formed

1952 Br Murphy Superior

1955 Br Mullins Superior

1958 Br Horgan Superior

1964 Br Lawlor Superior

1967 New prefabricated classrooms and Science room added to cater for increased numbers following introduction that year of Free Second Level Education.

1970 Br Heffernan Superior. He established Parents Council.

1974 New extension built to the front of the Secondary school to accommodate continuing growth in student numbers as full impact of Free Second Level Education is absorbed and much higher numbers enrolled and a greater percentage of students go on to Leaving certificate.

1976 Br O’Sullivan Principal

1979 Br Donnelly Principal

1982 Br Hannon Principal

1987 Christian Brothers withdraw from Primary Education in Roscommon and a new Parish School for boys was built known as Abbey National School. The Primary school building is incorporated into the Secondary school following some renovations.

1988 Br S. Crowe Principal

1994 A new extension is opened which replaced the Prefabricated building, (not in use since 1987) adding a second assembly area a new Science Room and an Administration area.

1995 First appointment of lay Principal for C.B.S. Secondary School. Mr P.J. Carrig

1996 Beatification of Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice in Rome on 6 October

1998 Connacht Senior Football A Champions

2002 Bicentenary of the opening of first school by Br Rice in Waterford

2003 Second lay Principal Mr M. Fahey

2005/06 New equipment for Science Rooms and Computer Room and new classroom furniture.

2006 Christian Brothers withdraw from direct involvement in teaching and leave Roscommon town in August.

2007 Third lay Principal Mr Pat O’Hanlon, from Kilkenny

2008 New prayer room opened.

2010 Mr O’Hanlon leaves in November Mrs J Connaughton becomes Acting Principal

2011 All Ireland Colleges B Football Champions

2011 Ms J Connaughton becomes first female principal